Digital Repository of Ostroh Academy

The Ukrainian Orthodox Autocephalous movement during the years of German occupation

Smyrnov, A. (2019) The Ukrainian Orthodox Autocephalous movement during the years of German occupation. Annals of the University of Craiova. History (1(35)). pp. 43-53.

[img] PDF - Published Version
Download (197kB)

Abstract

The article deals with the development of the Ukrainian autocephalous movement during the German-Soviet War. The subsequent German occupation of Ukraine led to a spontaneous revival in church life. The Archbishop Oleksii Hromadskyi created the Autonomous Orthodox Church under the Moscow Patriarchate. The Metropolitan Dionisii Valedynskyi of Warsaw gave his blessing for the establishment of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church and designated Archbishop Polikarp Sikorskyi as administrator of the church. In February 1942 Sikorsky consecrated the first two bishops of the UAOC on Ukrainian territory (Nykanor Abramovych and Ihor Huba), and in May 1942 the Kyiv Council of UAOC bishops elected Dionisii as locum tenens of the Metropolitan See of Kyiv. It should be emphasized that the hierarchs of both jurisdictions were forced to sign archpastoral appeals containing obeisance towards the occupiers, to pray for the German authorities and army during worships, and to encourage young people to go and work in Germany. The UAOC of the 1940s is not a sectarian and collaboracionist group, but an independent Church with canonical bishops, which through the Warsaw Metropolitanate was in eucharistic communion with other local churches.

Item Type: Article
Corporate Creators: Національний університет «Острозька академія» (National University «Ostroh Academy»)
Subjects: by fields of science > History
Divisions: The College of International Relationship > The Department of History
Depositing User: Галина Цеп'юк
Date Deposited: 11 Jan 2020 20:23
Last Modified: 11 Jan 2020 20:23
URI: http://eprints.oa.edu.ua/id/eprint/7983

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item